One call. Red does it all! 302-262-8254
Clogged Garbage Disposal Cleaning in Delaware & Maryland
Are you suffering from the frustrations of a clogged garbage disposal? When you’re trying to quickly do the dishes after dinner so you can put the kids to bed or take the dog for a walk, a clogged kitchen sink can throw off your whole routine. At Peninsula, we understand how important it is for the simple things in your home to work exactly how you need them to. That’s why we provide quality service for cleaning your clogged garbage disposal.
If you’re dealing with a clogged garbage disposal in Delaware or Maryland, call Peninsula at 302-262-8254 today! We’ll help you get back the convenience of a properly working kitchen sink.
What Causes a Clogged Garbage Disposal?
The garbage disposal in your kitchen sink is designed to catch small particles of food and grid them up to keep your drain clear. Unfortunately, many people believe disposals can handle all of the leftover food from pots, pans, and post-meal plates. You should always avoid letting the following items rinse down the drain and into the garbage disposal:
- Large pieces of food or animal bones: The blades of your garbage disposal simply aren’t powerful enough to continuously grind large chunks of food, especially when that food includes large bones, such as those found in beef or pork products.
- Grease, oil, or fat: These substances will accumulate over time, ruining the garbage disposal’s ability to grind food and causing your kitchen sink to clog.
- Starchy foods like pasta, rice, potatoes, or potato peels: Pasta and rice are foods that expand as water is added to them. They will do this in your drains and cause a clog. The starch in potatoes and their peels will become think and paste-like as it is ground down, preventing your garbage disposal from working properly.
- Fibrous foods like celery, onion skins, and artichokes: When the garbage disposal tries to grind these foods up, stringy fibers will come off and become tangled in the disposal’s motor, leading to a clogged disposal.
- Any non-biodegradable, non-food items: Your garbage disposal was not made to grind up glass, plastic, metal, or paper. Although we can sometimes carelessly throw these trash items in the sink while in the middle of cooking a meal, it’s important to make sure they never go down the drain. Be extra sure to keep utensils out of your disposal. Accidentally turning on the device after a fork falls in the drain can cause your garbage disposal to break.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance
While the list above advises you on a list of “don’ts” regarding the care of your garbage disposal, there are also some proactive measures you can take to keep your disposal in tip-top shape. Try these tips for garbage disposal maintenance:
- Run cold water during and after disposal use: While you’re grinding up food in your garbage disposal, be sure to have the cold water running. In case any grease or oil does sneak into your drain, the cold water will cause these substances to solidify, helping the disposal blades break them down and prevent a kitchen sink clog. Running the water for 15 to 20 seconds after using the garbage disposal will ensure the chopped up food flows all the way down the drain.
- Clean your garbage disposal with lemons: Every two to four weeks, depending on how frequently you use your disposal, cut a lemon in half and grind it up in your garbage disposal. This will help clear any lingering odors from your kitchen sink, and the acidic juices from the lemon will also dissolve small food particles and clogs trapped in your disposal and drain.
- Regularly use your garbage disposal: While daily use may not be necessary, using your garbage disposal several times a week will help prevent rust and corrosion in the device, and it will help keep food substances from accumulating in the kitchen drain.
Garbage Disposal Cleaning from Peninsula
Despite your best efforts, garbage disposal clogs can still happen. If you find yourself with a clogged kitchen sink, you can count on Peninsula to fix the issue quickly! We’ve been helping families in Delaware and Maryland keep their homes comfortable since 1935. Call us today at 302-262-8254, or contact us online!
Click to see our reviews on
- Clean Pickup Guarantee
- We-Missed-It Guarantee
CALL TO SCHEDULE