One call. Red does it all! 302-262-8254
Is Propane Safe?
Are concerns about safety keeping you from switching to propane? Propane is among the safest forms of heating fuel available, but it’s still important to know what to do if you think you have a leak!
What to Do if You Smell Gas
Propane has a distinct odor commonly described as smelling like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Here is what you should do if you smell gas in your home:
- No flames or sparks – immediately put out any open flames, such as candles. Do not attempt to turn on lights, appliances, cell phones, or any electronics either—flames or sparks from these sources can trigger a fire or explosion.
- Get outside immediately – if you smell gas, get everyone out of the house as quickly and safely as possible.
- Shut off the gas – if it is safe to do so, shut off the main gas supply valve by turning the valve to the right.
- Report the leak – from a safe distance, use a cell phone or a neighbor’s phone to contact your propane retailer right away. If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911.
- Do not reenter your home – do not go back inside for any reason until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines it is safe to do so.
- Have your system inspected – before using any of your propane appliances again, have them inspected by a qualified service technician to ensure that the equipment is leak-free.
Running Out of Gas
For your safety, make sure you never run out of gas. If an appliance valve or gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane. If your tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on your appliances will go out as well—this can be extremely dangerous.
If you run out of gas, a leak check is required. Your propane retailer or qualified service technician must perform a leak check of your propane system before turning on the gas.
Have questions about propane? Call Peninsula!
As long as you take reasonable precautions, propane is one of the safest heating fuels available, with built-in safety valves and stringent safety regulations. Peninsula service techs are trained in the safe transport, delivery, and handling of propane.
If you’re ready to make the switch to propane for your home, call Peninsula today!
Count on Peninsula: Your Local Propane Company
We care about our neighbors and each and every one of our customers. And we believe this commitment to quality customer service sets us apart from the rest.
Dependability. Service. Quality. Value. That’s what you’ll hear when you ask our customers about us. And our commitment to your satisfaction is built on this foundation!
Reputation is everything. That’s especially true in the close-knit communities along the Maryland and Delaware peninsula. Here, Peninsula has built a long-standing reputation of respect and trust, home by home, family by family. And we’re proud of that!
You can count on Peninsula for:
- An unequaled commitment to your needs and personal satisfaction
- Reliable, around-the-clock emergency service, 365 days a year
- Expert installation and upgrades, maximizing system performance
- Worry-free payment plans that respect your budget
So relax. You’ve come to the right place. You can count on our family to keep your family snug and secure. It’s what we do!
To find out more about propane delivery in Delaware or Maryland, contact us today!
Click to see our reviews on
- Clean Pickup Guarantee
- We-Missed-It Guarantee
CALL TO SCHEDULE